British Government and European Union Reach a Deal

The British Government and the European Union have reached a deal which will now be put in front of Parliament on Saturday. Boris Johnson, the Prime Minister, and Jean-Claude Juncker, the President of the European Commission, both issued updates on Twitter saying that agreement has been secured.

Boris Johnson posted:

“We’ve got a great new deal that takes back control — now Parliament should get Brexit done on Saturday so we can move on to other priorities like the cost of living, the NHS, violent crime and our environment #GetBrexitDone #TakeBackControl”

Jean-Claude Juncker posted:

“Where there is a will, there is a #deal – we have one! It’s a fair and balanced agreement for the EU and the UK and it is testament to our commitment to find solutions. I recommend that #EUCO endorses this deal.”

Sir John Major Calls on Prime Minister to Apologise Unreservedly

Sir John Major, the Prime Minister from 1990 until 1997, has called upon Boris Johnson, the current Prime Minister, to return to the House of Commons and offer an unreserved apology. Johnson, who unlawfully advised the Monarch to prorogue Parliament, is expected to return back to the UK early from New York.

Major said in a statement:

“Parliament must now be recalled immediately to recommence its work, and to receive the Prime Minister’s unreserved apology.

I hope this ruling from the Supreme Court will deter any future Prime Minister from attempting to shut down Parliament, with the effect of stifling proper scrutiny and debate, when its sitting is so plainly in the national interest.

No Prime Minister must ever treat the Monarch or Parliament in this way again.”

Boris Johnson Refuses to Resign Over Causing Constitutional Crisis

Boris Johnson, the Prime Minister, has said that he will not be resigning following his unlawful request to prorogue Parliament, which has triggered a constitutional crisis. The Prime Minister is expected to return to the UK early in an attempt to repair the damage to the Government’s reputation.

Speaking in New York, the Prime Minister said:

“Obviously this is a verdict that we will respect and we respect the judicial process. I have to say that I strongly disagree with what the justices have found.”

Jeremy Corbyn, the Leader of the Opposition, said in a statement:

“A Labour government would want to be held to account. We wouldn’t bypass democracy. And I invite Boris Johnson, in the historic words, to consider his position.”

Jo Swinson, the Leader of the Liberal Democrats, said on Twitter:

“The Prime Minister must resign to make way for an emergency Government that can stop a No Deal Brexit. The @LibDems will keep fighting for People’s Vote and to stop Brexit altogether.”

Nicola Sturgeon, the Scottish First Minister, said in a statement:

“It is unthinkable given the rules of democracy and accountability that has been found to have acted unlawfully and is subject of that kind of judgement delivered today would stay in office.”

Mark Drakeford, the Welsh First Minister, said in a statement:

“The Prime Minister has been found to have acted unlawfully and in a way deliberately designed to subvert our democracy. How does anybody in that position think that they can carry on?”

Liz Saville Roberts, the leader of Plaid Cymru at Westminster, said in a statement:

“Boris Johnson has already driven a bulldozer through the constitution, so no longer are ideas like impeachment far-fetched. I will tell other opposition party leaders, we need to be ready to impeach Boris Johnson if he breaks the law.”

Prime Minister’s Future Uncertain as Supreme Court Confirms Prorogation was Unlawful

Boris Johnson, the Prime Minister, acted unlawfully in proroguing Parliament the Supreme Court has announced. The Prime Minister is now under intense pressure to resign, although he had earlier indicated that he didn’t currently intend to do so.

The court decided that Johnson acted illegally and has reversed the prorogation of Parliament, leaving the decision on what to do now to the Speaker of the House of Commons. The decision stated that Johnson’s advice to the Monarch was “unlawful, void and of no effect”.

The President of the Supreme Court,  Lady Hale, said on Johnson’s unlawful advice:

“The effect on the fundamentals of our democracy was extreme.”

Serious Financial Allegations Made About Boris Johnson

Boris Johnson, the Prime Minister, has refused to comment on serious financial allegations which have been made against him by the Sunday Times with regards to Jennifer Arcuri. Arcuri was given public funds when Johnson was the Mayor of London in what is potentially a conflict of interest.

Jon Trickett, the Labour MP for Hemsworth and Shadow Minister for the Cabinet Office, said in a statement:

“With Boris Johnson refusing to answer questions about these allegations of serious conflicts of interest, abuse of power and misuse of public funds, the Cabinet Secretary should launch an investigation.

Despite what his life of privilege has led him to believe, Johnson is not above the law and cannot duck and dodge responsibility. This is a matter of the integrity of the Prime Minister, who appears to think he can get away with anything”.

When asked by journalists today about the situation, the Prime Minister refused to comment.

Grant Shapps, the Secretary of State for Transport, rejected the criticisms, saying on BBC Radio 4’s Today programme:

“British companies and entrepreneurs go on trade missions. It’s quite right and proper and I’m sure that’s exactly what’s happened there”.

Sadiq Khan, the current Mayor of London, has said that he will be looking into the allegations and will comment shortly.

Boris Johnson Meets with Jean-Claude Juncker

Boris Johnson, the Prime Minister, has today met with Jean-Claude Juncker, the President of the European Commission, in Luxembourg to discuss matters relating to the Brexit agreement.

A statement issued by the European Commission said:

“President Jean-Claude Juncker and Prime Minister Johnson had a working lunch today in Luxembourg. The aim of the meeting was to take stock of the ongoing technical talks between the EU and the UK and to discuss the next steps.

President Juncker recalled that it is the UK’s responsibility to come forward with legally operational solutions that are compatible with the withdrawal agreement. President Juncker underlined the commission’s continued willingness and openness to examine whether such proposals meet the objectives of the backstop. Such proposals have not yet been made.

The commission will remain available to work 24/7. The October European council will be an important milestone in the process. The EU27 remain united.”

A spokesperson for Johnson said:

“The Prime Minister and President Juncker had a constructive meeting this lunchtime. The Brexit Secretary and Michel Barnier were also in attendance.

The leaders agreed that the discussions needed to intensify and that meetings would soon take place on a daily basis. It was agreed that talks should also take place at a political level between Michel Barnier and the Brexit Secretary, and conversations would also continue between President Juncker and the Prime Minister.”

Scottish Court Rules Suspension of Parliament as Unlawful

Boris Johnson, the Prime Minister, has denied that he lied to the Queen following a decision made by the highest civil court in Scotland that his request to prorogue Parliament was unlawful. The decision made by the Scottish courts will be tested by the Supreme Court next week, with the possibility that Parliament may be recalled.

The Prime Minister said in an interview with the BBC that he had “absolutely not” lied to the Queen, but he refused to release documents requested by the House of Commons which would further clarify the situation. He also refused to recall Parliament, saying that the matter would be decided on in the Supreme Court.

Valerie Vaz, the Shadow Leader of the House of Commons, said in a statement:

“In light of today’s judgement that the government misled the Queen and that the prorogation of Parliament was unlawful, and null and of no effect, please confirm that Parliament will be recalled without delay.”

Jo Swinson, the Leader of the Liberal Democrats, posted on Twitter:

“Scottish judges have found in favour of 75 MPs (including me and other
@LibDems.) We argued that Boris Johnson’s Parliament shutdown is illegal, and designed to stifle parliamentary debate and action on Brexit.”

Conservative Government Lose Majority as MP Defects to Liberal Democrats

The Government has today lost its majority in the House of Commons following the defection of Phillip Lee, the MP for Bracknell, to the Liberal Democrats. Lee, who had been a member of the Conservative Party for 27 years, crossed the floor of the Chamber of the House of Commons during Boris Johnson’s statement on the G7.

Lee said in a letter to the Prime Minister:

“The Brexit process has helped to transform this once great party in to something more akin to a narrow faction, where an individual’s conservatism is measured by how recklessly one wishes to leave the European Union.”

 

Prime Minister Pledges More Money for Education

Boris Johnson, the Prime Minister, has pledged more money for education and has said in a statement that extra financing will be made available for primary and secondary education at the next Spending Round.

A spokesperson for the Prime Minister said:

“When I became Prime Minister at the start of the summer, I promised to make sure every child receives a superb education – regardless of which school they attend, or where they grew up.

Today I can announce the first step in delivering on that pledge – funding per pupil in primary and secondary schools will increase, and be levelled up across the entire country.

We should not accept the idea that there can be “winners or losers” when it comes to our children’s futures. That’s why we are providing additional funding now and for the future for every school, with those historically underfunded receiving the greatest increase.

My government will ensure all young people get the best possible start in life. That means the right funding, but also giving schools the powers they need to deal with bad behaviour and bullying so pupils continue to learn effectively.”

Angela Rayner, the Shadow Secretary of State for Education, said in a statement:

“This comes nowhere close to meeting the Prime Minister’s pledge to reverse the Tories’ education cuts, let alone matching Labour’s plans to invest in a National Education Service. Instead, it is yet another con trick by a politician who shown time and again that you just can’t trust his promises.

With the Chancellor only committing to a one-year Spending Round schools are being told to wait years for desperately needed funding, and the truth is that the government’s figures would prove an absolute fantasy after the damage done by a disastrous no-deal Brexit.

Pupils with special educational needs and disabilities are struggling to access the help they need, and yet today the Education Secretary hasn’t even offered enough to cover half of the funding shortfall and not for another year.

Today’s announcement completely ignores the impact of cuts on vital services like nursery schools and Sure Start centres or adult learning and training, and school buildings will continue to crumble as cuts to capital funding continue.

Teachers and parents know that it is only a Labour government that can be trusted to invest in an education system that gives every child the best start in life.”